Sunday, August 31, 2008

challenge of shopping for dye free products

Every week it's a challenge. Every grocery store trip involves much more reading of ingredients than I care to do. Luckily, Ben is great reader and helps look for the dreaded Red 40, Yellow 5 and 6. He's a good helper. It's still frustrating when the things I want don't come dye free. Today it was pudding mix to make a Berry Trifle for our neighborhood cook out. Why does vanilla pudding have to be yellow? Who decided that every brand needs it? I just wonder sometimes. Usually I opt not to get things with color. This time, I'm making the recipe anyway, because it's a favorite and I'm a victim of cravings. I'll just give my kids another desert.

It only takes minute to send a quick email to companies such as Kraftfood.com.

Here's what I sent:

To whom it may concern:


I am writing to request that you make your products available without aritificial coloring. My children react strongly with negative behaviors every time they eat anything with food colorings such as Red # 40, Yellow #5 and Yellow #6. Research has shown these ingredients to be problematic. Please make products available that are naturally colored. It is frustrating that even things such as Macaroni and Cheese and Vanilla Pudding have coloring added. I find the additives to be unnecessary and detrimental to my children's health.


Sincerely,


Laurie Hoff

2 comments:

stampinhot said...

Thanks for your post of the challenges for Dye Free and the letter to Kraft Foods. I am just starting in the world of Dye Free foods, it's nice to know that challenges I am facing before I go and do some serious grocery shoppping.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just found your blog and just wanted to let you know that I sent an e-mail in to Kraft foods too. I am an adult who has had problems with dye and food preservatives since childhood (the severe tantrums and ADD behaviors ended when I was put on an all-natural diet). I have "grown out" of many of them but Red#40 still remains a problem for me, and the list of acceptable foods seems to be shrinking. It breaks my heart that after all these years, and all the trouble my mother went to in the 70's to be taken seriously, that this is still considered the realm of "kooks".