Thursday, August 6, 2009

imagine paint poured over a cookie

That's what the snack at daycare looked like today. I should have taken a picture. They apparently mixed food coloring (the entire bottle from the looks of it) with sweetened condensed milk and poured it over a pan of bar cookies. I planned ahead and expected myself to forget to pack the cookies this morning so I packed up my own plain old chocolate chip cookies ahead of time and already had them in a bag in the car (Luckily it's been cool here). That way when I walked into the daycare kitchen this morning and saw today's cookies, all I had to do was go back to the car to get safe cookies for my kids. I wonder how many kids are going to be cranked up all weekend? At least it won't be mine.

I also think it's time to search for new info on how many countries have actually banned food dyes and their reasons for doing so. Of course I'll post whatever I find on that, but I'm thinking I need to print it out and hand it to the director of my daycare/summercamp/preschool just for good measure.

So today's lesson about avoiding dyes at day care. Always look ahead at the menu and always have a safe snack.

1 comment:

Violets said...

Wow.
I've seen stuff like that. My dd claims to hate fourth of July because of the dye issues, and I've seen some nasty St Patrick's Day menus. (Ew.)
Maybe handing out copies of The Unhealthy Truth would help?

There was a study done in NY schools awhile ago where they took dyes and preservatives out of the schools and performance drastically improved...I no longer have it bookmarked though...