Wednesday, January 6, 2010

good news about natural foods

Natural foods are getting more and more popular and more easily available. My husband confirmed this with a buyer for Kroger. They are consistently increasing their shelf space for naturals and organics such that prices are also coming down with higher demand.

I also made a nice discovery this week. I have tried to be more aware of artificial flavors as well as the colors. My own children seem to be able to tolerate low levels of artificial flavors a little at a time. I notice problems mostly if we eat lots of chocolate with vanillin (like after Halloween). If you watch the Feingold videos on youtube, Jane Hersey explains how the artificial colors and flavors are all made from the same petroleum products.

Here are the links again in case you missed them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uptp94xLchk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGhFNwkPr4&feature=related

I have changed my buying habits over the past 6 months or so to avoid things like vanillin. I was surprised to see that Nestle Chocolate Chips have now gone natural and do not have the artificial flavor any more. I had stopped buying them for a while, so I'm happy to be able to get back to an old favorite. That makes me more confident that we can keep using our consumer power to get companies to make our food without all the chemicals. Yay!

3 comments:

Erika :-) said...

I noticed that about the Nestle chocolate chips the last time I bought them! We also try to avoid the vanillan because I agree with you that it does affect behavior!

Violets said...

Thanks for the reminder about artificial flavors! I only recently started actively avoiding dye for my youngest (who informs me that if she eats dyes I become mean. Kid logic?) But we still see some issues...I'm going to watch out for other additives now, too!

food dye diaries said...

Maybe it's not kid logic, but irritability. My son has often thought that I hated him when he consumed the dyes, but life suddenly seems very unfair to him. Thank goodness that one wears off after 3 days!