Saturday, April 9, 2011

dye free treats

Our discovery of dye free foods continues all the time. Today my son spotted an add from Tim Hortons promoting their new frozen lemonade free of artificial colors and flavors. We haven't tried it yet, but it's so exciting for my kids to move from everything seeming to be off limits, to having more and more choices. In case you have not read my other posts, most lemonade in restaurants has yellow dye. If it comes from the soda fountain, it usually has yellow #5 or 6. We stopped asking months ago. Only a few, like Chick-Fil-A, have natural lemonade. Even then you still need to be aware. Many of the Chick-Fil-A salad dressings have dyes in them so check first. We did have another good lemon discovery. Minute Maid has individual frozen lemonade cups that are dye free. We noticed their cherry lime ones are also dye free. In the past, I've taken these in a cooler to the ball park for team snack after baseball games. We also attended a birthday party today. I meant to make my own sweet something (cup cake, brownie, etc. to take but I ran out of time). I grabbed a Capri Sun and a few donut holes on my way out the door. We lucked out as it turned out the birthday girl requested chocolate chip cookies so there were no issues with frosting. They served red punch so my daughter had the drink I brought. Easy party with no "left out feeling." Yay!

4 comments:

daisydilly (vicki) said...

I've been using gluten free lately. Its good to know there are more companies starting to go dye free but even though they've taken out the dyes they still leave alot of the other additives in and that defeats the whole thing. But at least its a start.

Kelly said...

Yeah for an easy party! I'm glad that some companies are starting to get the message and leave out the dye. We found some push-up ice pops the other day that were colored all naturally. Not something they're going to get every day, but it's nice to be able to give them things that their friends have when it's time for a treat.

Becky R said...

I just make homemade lemonade each week. Otherwise we drink water. Occasionally I will squeeze some oj as well.

Birthday parties are hard. Especially since most people I know think no dyes is weird and sneak my kids the dye snacks.

Unknown said...

I found a lot of dye free items at Aldi today, even fruit snacks.