Friday, September 12, 2008

Do your kids get hyper on sodium benzoate?

I'm thinking there's something to the British study last fall on food dyes and the preservative, sodium benzoate. check it out here http://www.feingold.org/McCann2007.html

I've started paying attention to how much sodium benzoate my kids have. It's a preservative found in pickles, soft drinks, etc. Today I learned there's lots of it in soy sauce. It's pretty high on the ingredient list. I'll have to re-think cooking some of my favorites.

I thought I had a nice healthy dinner: Chicken stir fry with broccoli, yellow peppers, carrots and onions served over rice. I used lots of soy sauce to flavor it. All three kids ate is up and enjoyed it quite well with compliments. Their afternoon snack was apples. They drank milk with dinner. There was no sugar or food coloring in anything. But as soon as dinner was done, all three went spastic. They were literally zooming around the house. I sent all three of them out to run laps around the cul-de-sac. That calmed things down considerably, but I have to wonder about those preservatives.



No comments: