Wednesday, September 10, 2008

taming the tantrums

I could never figure out how my oldest son could be so great some days and have so many tantrums and outbursts on other days. It was like he had two personalities. I tried to parent him consistently and deal with the behaviors the best I could, but it was still hard.

Then while I was taking his brother off food coloring I started to realize something. Ben was calmer and less moody. I realized his outbursts only occurred within a few days of having food coloring. I took him off food coloring, and now outbursts are rare or nonexistent. He is an excellent student, helpful brother, he cleans the bathroom and scoops doggie doo without complaining. He is so much more peaceful ever since I took him off food coloring.

It's been a whole year of peace now. I feel like I saved the best parts of Ben's personality and saved my sanity too. I wish other moms could see what a difference removing food dye makes. The research shows plenty of links to hyperactivity, but not so much to irritiability. Well, food dyes really make 2 of my children so irritable I don't want to be around them. It is such a huge difference I hope other moms will try it. Just take a week to read all the lables and keep them off reds and yellows. Then when the inevitable happens and they eat something dyed, watch for 3 days and see for yourself. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

No comments: