Monday, October 27, 2008

ready for a dye free Halloween (continued)


I baked the sugar cookies shaped like pumpkins. They turned out pretty good, but the frosting, well you get the picture. It's not exactly orange by any stretch of the imagination. I used natural food coloring from the health food store. The yellow was a nice color, so I thought I was doing pretty well. Then I added the red. It didn't even show at first, then it came off as a brownish hue. The more I added, the closer it looked to Dijon mustard. Then just for kicks I added the blue too. It was brown too, but slightly purple since it's blueberry juice. You can sort of see it on the edge of the bowl.

Oh well, plan B is to use the white frosting and just make chocolate chip faces. We'll see how that goes. Maybe I should try to just make pumpkin cookies with real pumpkin. Those would be orange. Maybe I should accept reality that despite my best intentions, at least one of my kids will probably eat something dyed this week at school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out Three boys and gluten free http://threeboysandglutenfree.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html
This mom talks about slicing and drying a beet and turning it into powder and using the powder to come up with pink food coloring. I will be following both your blog and hers for my food allergies!
Thank you
Kelli