Wednesday, March 18, 2009

dye free meds are coming

I heard back from the compounding pharmacy and they are shipping me the medicine. Here is a link in case you need to try to get dye free meds: Lee Silsby Compounding Pharmacy. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and checked with the pharmacist several times to answer all my questions. She said it is not common for people to request dye free, but maybe we just need to get the word out that this is possible. WE DO HAVE A CHOICE!
They had 3 options. I could get capsules, grape dye-free liquid, or plain liquid sweetened with Stevia. So, there is a choice, you just have to be really really persistent. My pharmacy and regular pediatrician never told me about this place, they may not know about it. And, oh yes, of course, we are going to pay a lot for it too. The first prescription cost $50.00 for the month supply of red #40 pills. (My son is great at swallowing pills.) The liquid or the capsules both cost $75.00. I'm doubtful our prescription plan will cover the cost of the 2nd prescription, but I'm going to try to make some headway on that later today. Otherwise, how can I know that a medicine is doing it's job when I have to sort out the mess that red #40 turns my son into?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I am extremely allergic to food coloring and it is very difficult for me to find meds that i can use :)
~wolfgirl~